In the first delegation of its kind eight Vice-Chancellors from the Russell Group - the UK’s 24 leading research-intensive universities - will travel to China for a dialogue with leaders from the China 9 (C9) – an alliance of nine elite universities in mainland China.
The Russell Group – China 9 Dialogue, will be co-chaired by President Jie Zhang of Shanghai Jiao Tong University and Professor Sir David Greenaway, Chair of the Russell Group and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Nottingham.
The university leaders will discuss how best to foster excellence in research, innovation and higher education and consider the benefits of, and opportunities for, collaboration between the Russell Group and Chinese universities.
Following formal discussions President Zhang and Professor Greenaway will sign a Joint Russell Group – China 9 Statement on:
- Exploring ways to deepen engagement and strengthen existing relationships
- Sharing information and approaches to addressing complex global challenges
- Considering opportunities to further facilitate the exchange of ideas and knowledge
Chair of the Russell Group and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Nottingham, Professor Sir David Greenaway said: “Our universities are international institutions that thrive on their academic links around the world. They recognise that big scientific, economic and social challenges will only be solved when the best minds work together through global research collaboration.
“I am delighted we are signing this joint statement with our colleagues from the C9. There are huge mutual benefits for Russell Group universities and China’s leading universities to work together.
“By deepening our engagement and sharing our approaches to complex global challenges our universities can continue to lead the world in producing excellent research. An agreement like this, with the C9, represents an exciting opportunity to further the exchange of ideas and knowledge."
Future collaboration and innovation
Russell Group Vice-Chancellors in the delegation:
- Professor Sir David Greenaway, University of Nottingham and Chair of the Russell Group
- Professor Sir David Eastwood, University of Birmingham
- Professor Colin Riordan, Cardiff University
- Professor Anton Muscatelli, University of Glasgow
- Professor Patrick Johnston, Queen’s University Belfast
- Professor Michael Arthur, University College London
- Professor Stuart Croft, University of Warwick
- Professor Koen Lamberts, University of York
Professor Ian Postlethwaite, Dean & CEO Newcastle University International Singapore (NUIS), represents Newcastle University. A further four Russell Group universities will be represented by Deputies from the University of Bristol, Kings College London, University of Leeds, University of Manchester and Queen Mary University of London.
Press release re-published with thanks from The Russell Group.
New research published in Nature Microbiology has highlighted a protein that functions as a membrane vacuum cleaner and which could be a potential new target for antibiotics.
published on: 16 October 2017
A research centre whose pioneering work paved the way for Local Enterprise Partnerships and Metro Mayors is celebrating four decades of being at the forefront of research and policy influence.
published on: 16 October 2017